Unit History: Formed on May 1, 1943, at North Camp Hood, TX. Its troops were pulled mainly from the 807th and 702nd TD Bns. In July, they moved to Shell Camp No. 1 and converted from a self-propelled unit to a towed 3" gun unit. In December of that same year, they were assigned as School Troops. The unit was deactivated on Dec. 17, 1944, at Fort Knox, KY, and redesignated as the 662nd Tank Battalion. The 662nd Tank Bn remained at Fort Knox but was deactivated two months later on February 24, 1945. Its men would have been tranferred to other units as necessary for the war effort.
Combat Equipment: N/A
Commanding Officers: Major (later Lt. Col.) Robert E. Mitchell; Lt. Col. Fred H. Plakte
Code Name/s: N/A
Campaign Credits: Continental U.S. Service Only
1.) Company B, 1st Platoon Group Photo - Athough not identified, the photographer was from San Antonio, which would narrow the location down to one of the Texas Camps. Page two includes a roster of the men with addesses. Provided courtesy of Paul Stevens.
2.) Company C Group Photo - Taken by C. Ekmark from San Antonio, which was 2 hours south of Camp Hood and probably where the photo was taken. The Commanding officer is Cpt. William E. Wilkins (FA). 2nd Lt. Dana L. Williams (Inf) is the Executive Officer. 1st Platoon Leader was 1st Lt. Luther E. Holloway (FA), 1st Lt. Willie W. Miller (Inf) was 2nd Platoon Leader, 1st Lt. Spencer C. Ridgway (Inf) was 3rd Platoon Leader. The 1st Sgt. was Alfred J. Mckenzie. Photo provided courtesy of Bruce Kaplan.
3.) Company C, 2nd Platoon Photo - Another C. Ekmark photo probably taken at the same time as the Company photo. 1st Lt. Willie W. Miller was the platoon Leader with SSgt William A Szymanski as the Platoon Sergeant. Photo provided courtesy of Bruce Kaplan.