8th Tank Destroyer Group

Unit History:  Unit was activated at Camp Hood, TX, on Oct. 13, 1942.  The unit moved to Camp Bowie, TX, on Jan. 15, 1943.  They then moved back to Camp Hood, TX, on Mar. 12, 1943, and then went to Camp Rucker, AL, on Jun. 1, 1943, joining III Corps on Aug. 28, 1943.  Moved to Fort Dix, NJ, in April of 1944 and then on to Camp Myles Standish, MA, on Aug. 22, 1944, to prepare for overseas shipment.  They shipped from the Boston Port of Embarkation on Sep. 5, 1944, and arrived in England on Sep. 15, 1944.  Shipped to France, landing on Oct. 21, 1944, where they acted as the III Corps Anti-Tank section.  They moved into Luxembourg on Dec. 19, 1944, and then into Belgium on Dec. 20, 1944.  Returned to Luxembourg on Dec. 24, 1944, and then went back into Belgium on Feb. 23, 1945, before finally moving into Germany on Feb. 24, 1945.  Assumed responsibility of Remagan bridgehead TD coordination on March 24, 1945.  The unit shipped back to the U.S., arriving in New York on Jul. 7, 1945.  From there it was on to Camp Bowie, TX, on Jul. 12, 1945, where they were deactivated on Oct. 20, 1945.  Attached/Supported: III Corps.  Information gathered from WWII Order of Battle by Shelby L. Stanton.

Combat Equipment:  N/A

Commanding Officers:  Col. Harry C. Larter, Jr.

Code Name/s:  Hamstring

Campaign Credits:   Northern France...............Jul. 25, to Sept. 14, 1944

                                 Rhineland........................Sept. 15, 1944 to Mar. 21, 1945

                                 Ardennes-Alsace..............Dec. 16, 1944 to Jan 25, 1945

                                 Central Europe.................Mar. 22, to May 11, 1945

Awards:  None

Location August 1945:  Camp Bowie, TX

Additional Information/Materials: