17th Tank Destroyer Group

Unit History:  Unit was activated at Camp Bowie, TX on Apr. 10, 1943.  The unit moved to Camp Hood, TX on May 16, 1943 and then returned to Camp Bowie, TX on Oct. 18, 1943 and assigned to the VIII Corps.  They then moved to the Louisiana Maneuver Area on Nov. 15, 1943 as part of XVIII Corps. Transferred to Camp Bowie, TX on Jan. 28, 1944 and attached to XXIII Corps on Feb. 1, 1944.  Moved to Camp Swift, TX on Apr. 25, 1944 where they were deactivated on Aug. 30, 1944.  Attached/Supported: VIII, XVIII and XXIII Corps. Information gathered from WWII Order of Battle by Shelby L. Stanton.

Combat Equipment:  N/A

Commanding Officers:  Lt. Col. Henry B. Margeson; Col. Ira Black (4/21/43); Col. Edwards M. Quigley (6/18/43)

Code Name/s:  N/A

Campaign Credits:   Continental U.S. Service Only

Awards:  None

Additional Information/Materials:

1.)  Photo Gallery

2.)  Misc. Documents - from the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library, Abilene, Kansas

          May 24, 1943............1 Page (Commendation from Brig. Gen. Thompson)

          1943.........................4 Pages (Unit Crest Document)

          Feb. 12, 1944............1 Page (Activation of Provisional Detachment)

          1943 - 1944...............27 Pages (Misc. Orders and Assignments)

          Aug. 9, 1944..............2 Pages (General order #123, Unit Inactivation)