18th Tank Destroyer Group

Unit History:  Unit was activated at Camp Bowie, Texas, on Apr. 17, 1943.  The unit moved to Camp Hood, TX on May 7, 1943 and then to Camp Joseph T. Robinson, Arkansas, on Nov. 12, 1943 and was assigned to the IX Corps.  They then moved to Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, on Dec. 24, 1943, under XXI Corps, on Jan. 7, 1944.  The unit moved to the Louisiana Maneuver Area on Feb. 3, 1944 and then to Camp Howze, TX, on Apr. 6, 1944 as part of XXIII Corps.  They were then transferred to Camp Polk, LA, on Jul. 23, 1944 and attached to XXI Corps on Sep. 19, 1944.  They then moved to Fort Knox, Kentucky, on Feb. 6, 1945, where they were deactivated on Feb. 20, 1945.  Attached/Supported: IX, XXI, XXIII and XXI Corps. Information gathered from WWII Order of Battle by Shelby L. Stanton.

Combat Equipment:  N/A

Commanding Officers:  Col. Lafayette D. Mathews

Code Name/s:  N/A

Campaign Credits:   Continental U.S. Service Only

Awards:  None

Additional Information/Materials:

1.)  Unit History - April 17, 1943 through deactivation at Ft. Knox, KY.  Includes personnel listing, station assignments, changes in organization and short descriptions of officer assignment.  Courtesy of the Tank Destroyer Association by L. L. Gill, TDA Historian.

2.)  Misc. Documents - from the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library, Abilene, Kansas

          Jun. 2, 1944..............3 Pages (Unit History)

          1943.........................6 Pages (Misc. Orders and Attachments)