20th Tank Destroyer Group

Unit History:  Unit was activated at Camp Hood, TX on May. 8, 1943.  The unit moved to Camp Maxey, TX, on Feb. 12, 1944, as part of XXIII Corps.  Moved to Camp Bowie, TX, on Apr. 26, 1944, and then to Camp Myles Standish, MA, on Sep. 27, 1944, to prepare for shipment.  The unit remained there until they departed from the Boston Port of Embarkation on Oct. 4, 1944, and arrived in England on Oct. 12, 1944.  They then shipped to France, landing on Oct. 15, 1944, where they acted as the Ninth Army Rear Detachment.  They then moved into Holland on Dec. 24, 1944, and into Germany on Mar. 10, 1945.  The unit shipped back to the U.S., arriving at the Boston, MA, port on Sep. 4, 1945.  From there it was on to Camp Gruber, OK, where they were inactivated on Nov. 23, 1945.  Attached/Supported: XXIII Corps and the Ninth Army.  Information gathered from WWII Order of Battle by Shelby L. Stanton.

Combat Equipment:  N/A

Commanding Officers:  Lt. Col. Robert O. Wright (4/43); Col. Chester E. Sargent, Col. Douglas L. Crane

Code Name/s:  Church

Campaign Credits:   Rhineland........................Sept. 15, 1944 to Mar. 21, 1945

                                Central Europe.................Mar. 22, to May 11, 1945

Awards:  None

Location August 1945:  France

Additional Information/Materials:

1.)  Miscellaneous Documents-from the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum, Abilene, Kansas.

      Permanent Station Assignments, May 30, 1944.............................2 Pages

      Troop Assignment #147, June 12, 1945.....................................18 Pages

 2.) Photo Gallery