Danley, Jared G. (627th)

Jared G. Danley

Biography:  Jared Gage Danley was born on August 2, 1917, in Winnetka, Illinois. He was the son of John Danley and Jese Gage and graduated from New Trier High School. His enlistment record indicates that prior to the war, he had experience as a freight clerk for the Chicago and North Western Railroad.

At some point prior to the war, Jared volunteered to serve in the Illinois National Guard (NG) and possibly the 123rd Field Artillery Regiment, which was inducted into Federal Service on March 5, 1941. The 123rd FA Regt. served as part of the 33rd Infantry Division.

Service Time:  Jared entered the service on March 5, 1941, Chicago, IL. At some point, he was assigned to the 627th Tank Destroyer Battalion. On February 13, 1942, the 627th was stationed at Fort McClellan, Alabama and was brought up to strength by personnel from the 33rd Infantry Division, which at the time was stationed at Camp Forrest, Tennessee.

Now with a full complement of men, the entire unit was loaded on trains and moved to Camp San Luis Obispo, California after four days of travel. By the end of March, the unit was ordered to the East Garrison of Fort Ord, CA, where the men would receive additional training and served as guards and provide defense for several areas along the U.S. West Coast.  The 627th shipped to Hawaii on June 22, 1942, aboard the S.S. President Johnson, arriving on July 2nd and were billeted at the Schofield Barracks, serving as guards at numerous locations including the Hilo Airport where they provided Outpost security and beach patrol along with invasion training.

It is during this period that Jared’s leadership and technical skills were particularly utilized. At the rank of Technical Sergeant, he served as the ranking NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) in charge of the S-2 (Intelligence) office. He also ran the both the NCO and Aircraft Recognition Schools. He additionally revised maps of Hawaii to indicate all possible routes.

The photo above right shows Jared on left aboard one of the unit’s M-20 Armored Utility Cars.

Jared shipped home on October 31, 1944, arriving on November 4th, for some well-deserved leave but by the end of December, he was back aboard ship and headed for Hawaii arriving on January 6, 1945.

The next day, January 7th the unit was assigned to the Quartermaster Service of the Central Pacific Command and turned in all their organizational equipment by the 15th.  On the 25th, the unit was broken up and each of the gun companies A, B and C were assigned to 4th, 5th and 6th Provisional Quartermaster Service Companies respectively. The Reconnaissance Company was broken up as well, split three ways and assigned to the three Service Companies. Additional information identifies that the Reconnaissance personnel were assigned to a grave registration unit, which was another responsibility of the Quartermaster Corps.

We know that Jared would travel to Leyte in the Philippines and spent 7 months working as a topographical draftsman. His drawings skills may have been used as part of documenting areas of Leyte and graves of fallen soldiers.

The photo shown above shows Jared on the Island of Leyte. The back of the photo included the child’s name, which was Enciago.

Jared shipped back to the U.S. on November 9th and arrived on the 21st. He was discharged on the 27th at Fort Sheridan, IL. He was awarded the WWII Victory, American Theater, Asiatic Pacific Theater and the Good Conduct Medals.

Honorable Discharge

Jared returned to Illinois and made his home in Highland Park. He worked as an auto parts repairman and later as a maintenance mechanic for the Highland Park High School. On May 25, 1950, he married the former F. Lois Mecham, who had been born in Highland Park and was the daughter of Albert Mecham and Fern Wollbrinck. The new couple would have three sons, Thomas, William and Steven. In his spare time, Jared enjoyed wood working, metal working and target shooting.

Jared passed away on September 28, 1997, and was buried in the Northshore Gardens of Memories in New Chicago, IL. I want to thank Jared’s son Steve for providing the information and photos used in this tribute.